June 13, 2005

Blueberries


Blueberries
Originally uploaded by banj.
I know I've gotten way off of politics and technology (what my site is claimed to be about), but I really want to post these images.

This organic blueberry bush is of the "Collins" variety. The understanding that I have is that it is one of the sweeter varieties. The Ms. and I picked over 10 pounds of these little treats in about an hour. I snapped this photo from one of the rows I was picking from, in fact I probably cleaned off a lot of the blue bounty just after the photo was taken.

We got to the farm last Monday morning around 11:30. It was a beautiful day with only few other visitors. We were preparing to simply buy pre picked, but with the harvest having only began on Saturday the only berries for the taking were the ones you had to labor over. The birds sang in every direction throughout the Ozarks and the bumble bees buzzed your head as if you were invading their territory. Ms. even changed rows because of one pesky bee. I have to admit, I ate as I picked and sweated and ate and picked.

We also brought home 2 lbs. of shitake mushrooms grown there at the farm. They run about 25% of the cost of the dehydrated type found at any Dallas supermarket, and they are grown in their own "laying yard" right there at Persimmon Hill!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home