June 19, 2006

What's In the Case?

I got this idea from another article, but it's something I've thought about before and I'm sure everyone could tell a different story. Ever thought about what's in an instrument case? I know, you say well...an instrument, right? If that's your answer, then yes you would be right. But there is more.

If you look inside my oldest friends home, my Imperial 5 string banjo case which I've had for almost 30 years, you'd find the banjo of course. The first thing you'd see is that under that banjo is a rolled up strap. My dad and I had it made at a rodeo leather shop in downtown McAlester, Oklahoma around 1974. It's of course all hand tooled and carved with the words "Joey" stamped on it. That name is what my family and old friends say when they address me. This special strap has a rubber covered metal hook at each end that I took off of my very first nylon banjo strap my parents bought for me in 1972. The leather cowboys reused the hooks in order to hold up my 16 pounds of steel. I haven't used that banjo strap in about 15 years. I left that name behind when I turned 30, as I thought it was too young and I was too old for it. As it turns out, I've started using it again here and there. But the strap still remains in the case.

Inside the torn "pocket" door is a plethera of stuff. Picks, both thumb and finger by National, Dunlop, Ernie Ball and others. There are flatpicks too (in case somebody has a guitar that I just can't resist hanging a G chord on to). There are a also a couple of older Bill Kieth tuners I recieved for my 16th birthday. They need repairing and I just can't seem to get my act together long enough to mail them in and have them replaced for free (a $200 value). The tuners allow songs like Earls' "Home Sweet Home, Flint Hill Special, Earls Breakdown" and others to be played by locking the highs and lows. Without them you take it all into your own hands. And if you don't get them back to the pitch they started from, well...you are out of tune buster, right smack dab in the middle of the song! I don't play those tunes without them, so they currently, like years before are not a part of my rep.

Also in the pocket you'd find a transducer from the days when the Banj played rock banjo. I used the transducer under the bridge, out to a preamp, to effects and into a Marshall amp outfit. Boy those were the days! I can still remember back then! Well, some of the gigs...

There are also a couple of beer bottle lids. Who knows where these came from? Little Rock 2002? Dallas 1981? Hot Springs 1984? Tulsa 1978? I dono, I'm not sure of the brand. Probably something weird like Strohs.

Howbout furniture polish? Yep, a stick of scratch remover used from time to time to oil up the back of the neck. That's when I'm feeling like I'm gonna heat it up. I never really use it.

Then there are strings. Packages with 3 out of 5. Or emptys with the plastic holders still in tack.

I can't forget the old Sruggs-Ruben capo. It has no rubber left on it, but mechanically it's fine. They quit making them before I started playing. Probably worth something. Maybe not.

Finally grass. No, not that kind. Real grass, from fields, parks, lawns, the country. Hey it's a banjo, it's spent many, many hours under shade trees, out behind the car, front porches, cow pastures. The grass has always been there. It adds character.

Take a look in someone elses case, I'm sure you'll find different things whether they are guitars, mandolins, violins, dobros, or basses. Some may have pictures of heros or girls, tuners, sheet music, slides, capos and even a bottle cap. It's probably not that interesting to most folks, but if you play there might be a spark of something to think about. Next time I'll let you in on the outside of the house my friend lives in. It's got it's own character as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home