July 02, 2006

Saturday Pickin

I played the little Opry last night with the "Odds and Ends" band. We had a small crowd of about 30 or so, but the music was pretty good. I've brought back a couple of my older songs that I had forgotten about. The crowd seems to like them, but our keys are off. I've got to adjust, but when I do it's going to throw the tenor out because no one can reach it.

This little group i've been sitting in with is turning out to be pretty good. It's probably because we've limited our playlist to about 20 songs. When you do them enough you start to get tight. Our timing issues are improving as well. That was an element a few months back that was making me question whether or not I even enjoyed the sit in or not. But I've tackfully issued citations and they've been well recieved. I'm not the perfect one either, but the playing has helped to improve my own timing.

I accepted a chance to help someone who's learning to play. They approached me about lessons, but I let them know right away that "no" I don't do the lesson gig anymore and don't want to start again. I'm pleased to help someone whos struggling. On top of that they live the next block over. He's also looking for a new banjo. He bought a Deering Good Time, but told me it didn't have the sound he was looking for. I just smiled as I know what he's talking about. They are a little hollow and don't have much of a tone ring.

Check out the opry website at www.chrystalopryhouse.com.

2 Comments:

At 5:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google reader cached the last two entries that you posted and subsequently deleted :) I was in Seattle for business and didn't have a chance to catch up on my blog reading until now. I enjoy your potpourri collection of ideas, and I think my blog is the same. I guess I like the surprise of not really knowing what to expect from your next post. Makes things interesting!

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Banj said...

thanks. i had only put those two posts up to try and get some feedback. my traffic has increased considerably over the past few weeks, but no one would bite. i stay in format more over at dfwacoustics. thanks for the comments. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home